When a student begins a course of study, they are often warned at the outset of the academic year not to plagiarise the work of other individuals. Typically, the student will receive guidelines on how to ensure they avoid plagiarising content in the module handbooks distributed at the beginning of the course. This section provides a concise and practical guide to avoiding plagiarism, highlighting the common traps students can easily fall into if they do not use and reference material correctly.
Definition of Plagiarism
In short, plagiarism is the act of using another individuals work without giving them due credit. In an academic context, plagiarism refers to the process of students attempting to pass off another authors work as their own. An alternative definition of plagiarism is proffered by the University of Oxford who instead suggest that plagiarism is the practice of presenting someone else’s work as one’s own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your own work without full acknowledgement. Plagiarism can be intentional and/or accidental/reckless but in any event, it is a serious offence and can significantly detract from the value of a students work. As well as these definitions, plagiarism can also be defined as the act of deceitfully misleading academic tutors by overstating the level of revision and reading in which the student has carried out in preparation for an essay or report.
Trying to Avoid Plagiarism?
In trying to avoid plagiarism there are a variety of new software packages which students can use to ensure that their work is academically viable. The most effective software package available is Viper. Viper has been used to scan over 10 billion resources worldwide and is a free and easy to use interface. The key value adding advantages of the Viper interface are as follows:
- Viper gives you peace of mind regarding any occurrence of accidental plagiarism in academic coursework.
- Viper is easy to use and its step by step guide saves students both time and stress.
- Viper provides a step by step guide to cite and reference correctly.
How else can Viper Help Me to Avoid Plagiarism?
Aside from the online functions, Viper also provides a range of support recommendations to ensure that students minimise the risk of their academic work scanning as plagiarism. The Viper website also provides written assistance as to how students can improve their writing skills and their ability to cite references correctly.
Why would I choose to use Viper over other brands which offer a similar service?
- It vastly reduces the risk of accidental plagiarism occurring in your work.
- It is much quicker and easier to use than other packages currently available in the market.
- Viper has many academic professionals working for the company thus ensuring industry-relevant insight will be available to help you in the process of minimising the risk of plagiarism in your academic essays and reports.
- The organisation also provides an extensive step by step guide to cite and reference authors correctly thus again helping you to stop plagiarism from detracting from your grade classification.